Monday, February 21, 2011

DAD IS GONE

(This picture was taken on 1-22-11)
Dad passed away on Sunday at 3:02 a.m. I had gone down to Orem to help mom because she had been taking care of Dad all by herself (not completely, but at night she was there with Dad alone). We had started teaming up so that there would be a daughter and a son there each night to spell Mom off. Dad needed someone there constantly to give him his medications and keep him calm. He was really struggling the last day. He couldn't really sleep well because he would struggle to breath. He hadn't really slept for days. It wore me out just watching him. It was really hard to watch him. He must have been exhausted. He couldn't talk to us, and if he tried, we had no idea what he was saying.

I came down to be with Mom and Dad on Friday night along with Matthew. I hadn't slept well the night before, so Matthew took the first watch and I went to bed around 10:30. At 3:00 I took over and stayed with him till around 7:30 when Mom woke up and the day began. I think every day was a little different (as was reported by my siblings). Saturday was a day of restlessness. Dad just couldn't get comfortable and could not sleep. We had a hospice nurse come in and try to adjust his medications to help him. We tried it for a few hours, but Dad seemed just as miserable or even worse. We called Hospice again and a different nurse came over. She seemed to know exactly what was going on and explained that these were the signs of death and that dad only had hours to a day. This was around 10:00 p.m. We called Stewart and Matthew who were the only siblings who weren't there. They quickly came over and we started a new routine of medications. We sat in the living room and visited (Richard mostly stayed with Dad in the bedroom). Finally, around 2:45 we decided to get some rest. Matthew headed for home and Stewart and Richard were watching over Dad. April walked to her house behind Mom's.

At about 3:08 a.m., Stewart came into Mom's bedroom where Heather, Mom and I were sleeping, and tenderly said, "Mom, he's gone." It was a shock. We had been waiting, wanting, and praying for this, but when it really happened, I don't think we were ready.

I keep having to remind myself how miserable Dad was and how much better he is now. He is there with his Mom and Dad, Grandpas and Grandmas, brother, nephew and wonderful friends who have passed on before.

Wow! It seems so unreal. We have a funeral on Friday, and we will bury him in Mesquite on Saturday. People have been so wonderful and loving. I appreciate all the kind comments, offerings of help, and outpouring of love. Thank you to all of you.

1 comment:

Gina and John Zarate Family said...

Oh Shannan, thank you for sharing.We love you and your family. OUr prayers have been with your family and will continue to be. We Love you and we and many many others will miss your dad. What a wonderful man! He was a wonderful example of service and unconditional love.