Saturday, April 10, 2010

COUNTY REPUBLICAN CONVENTION


Well, it has been a full day. I went to our County Republican Convention today. Yes! Me! I am not all that political, but I decided to attend our caucus last month. At the caucus, I was nominated and voted in as one of five county delegates to attend our Davis County Republican Convention. I was nervous about the whole thing, because I don't think I am the smartest person when it comes to politics, but I decided to be involved. It has been interesting receiving mail and phone calls from all the people running. I have tried to be informed.

I left the house at 7:30 this morning and picked up my friend, Denice. We got to Davis High School and got credentialed and then walked around and visited candidates' booths, talked with some of them, and tried to get more informed.

We then went to a general meeting (very interesting). I have been on capital hill during legislative sessions, and it has always interested me, but this was even more different. It was interesting to watch as they adopted rules and explained procedures to some of us newcomers. There were lots of delegates that were there for the first time.

The convention officers were very good at keeping the schedule on track, and were very efficient at doing their business.

We were able to hear speaches from our county candidates and also for the State House. We were then able to vote. While the votes were being tallied, we heard speaches from the candidates for Governor, U.S. House of Representatives--Districict #1, and U. S. Senate. It was very interesting. The only one who didn't show up to give his speach was "Superdell" Schanze who is running for Governor (Hmmmmm). It is interesting the impressions you get while you listen to people speak. I think you can learn a lot, but you still can't really know what kind of a job someone will do just by hearing them speak and listening to their promises.

So, that is that. I have done something I never thought I would do. It was kind of fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is awesome! You and I would be quite the pair wouldn't we? I would love to be one of the lone Democrats in Utah!